Inclusion / Integration: What School do we want for our children?
Consulting Day participants:
- Dr. Jorge Carvalho – Regional Secretary for Education
- Dr. Gonçalo Olim – Service Director from Secretary for Education
- Dra. Helena Rebelo – University of Madeira Linguistic Teacher
- Dr. Armando Barreiro – President of our school – EBSAAS
- Dra. Ana Alícia Ribeiro – Vice President – EBSAAS
- Dra. Ana Sofia de Sousa Pereira – Mother of a student from Venezuela
- Eng. Valéria Vition – Former Student of our school from Croatia
- Dra. Manuela Monteiro – Coordinator of Erasmus projects – EBSAAS
- Other Participants: students and others teachers
Nowadays, school is characterized by diversity, which results from several different situations such as economical, political, social, demographic and cultural reasons. All these factors compel us to rethink about the role of School towards those who contribute to it.
Inclusion and integration are decisive factors for the success of students who bring with them a language and culture that should not be forgotten.
A safe and inclusive environment, together with the School values, encourages learning; with a pedagogic relationship in association with affectivity and, with the ability to overcome the linguistic barrier, it enables the learning of a second language, the country’s official language which, in this case, is Portuguese.
Nowadays, school is defined by pluralism, multilingualism and multiculturalism, which is the result of society itself and, as such, obliges us to constantly rethink our course as educators.